Ahh, those cold winter days spent outside. When you get back after a long day your fingers are a bit sore, your lips are chapped, and your face is windburned.
What better way to warm up upon your return than with a Classic Pot Roast. Like all roasts, this recipe is super simple, is something you can prepare the night before, and there is almost no way it can be screwed up. Better yet, use this recipe as is, or use it as a starter roast that you can play around with and tweak to meet your style.
Like it a little bit spicy? Great, add some jalapenos. How about a bit of tang? Awesome, replace some of the beef broth or water with pickle juice. Like cheese? Hell, add some cheese. Prefer more of a traditional roast? Perfect, leave this recipe as is and it will still be amazing.
Using a Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Salt and pepper roast on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add halves onions to dutch oven, browning on the cut face. Once browned, remove and set aside.
- Toss carrots in dutch oven and stir until lightly browned. Once browned, set aside with onions.
- If needed, add a bit more oil and place meat into dutch oven and sear all sides until nice and brown. Remove and set aside with onions and carrots.
- With burner still on high, add 1 cup of water or beef broth and scrape bottom of dutch oven to deglaze.
- Place roast back into dutch oven and add enough water or broth to cover halfway.
- Add onions, carrots and potatoes on top along with fresh herbs.
- Place lid on roast and roast in oven for 3-4 hours, depending on the size. Roast is done once it is fork tender.
Using a Crockpot:
- Follow steps 2-7 using a large pan or pot instead of a dutch oven.
- instead of placing the roast back into the pan with the deglaze, pour the deglaze into your crockpot and continue through step 9.
- place lid on crockpot and roast for 6-7 hours, or until fork tender.
- Salt and Pepper
- One 3-5 pound venison roast
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and halved
- 6-8 carrots, unpeeled, cut into pieces
- 8-10 whole red potatoes
- 1-2 bunches of garlic, peeled
- 4 cups beef broth or water
- 3-4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme